Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Corby Town FC



5 months ago By David Tilley

CORBY TOWN UNDER 18s 1 AFC RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS UNDER 18s 2 (After extra time)

“O'Brien broke into the penalty area and stroked his shot past goalkeeper Tom Cocking for the equaliser.”

Corby Town Under-18s bowed out of the F.A Youth Cup with a narrow defeat to AFC Rushden & Diamonds at Steel Park on Monday evening. It was a close encounter which could have gone either way but Diamonds won it with an exceptional goal in the first half of extra time.
Corby stuck with the same starting XI which had won at Peterborough Sports in the previous round but struggled to get into the game during the opening forty five minutes. The visitors played some neat football but took the lead with a scrappy goal in the 20th minute. Hayford Osei played the ball into the penalty area and as no Corby defender was able to clear it Jake Lancaster got the decisive touch to roll a low shot into the net.
Diamonds looked the better side in the first half but it was a completely different story after the interval as the Steelboys began to impose themselves on the opposition.
In the 58th minute Jordan O'Brien broke into the penalty area and stroked his shot past goalkeeper Tom Cocking for the equaliser. Minutes later O'Brien came within inches of putting Corby ahead. He played a one-two with Harry Belmonte on the edge of the area before firing in a shot which struck one post and spun across goal to go wide of the other. Cocking got a touch to help the ball on its way wide but referee Mr Corey Suggs gave a goal kick. Madness!
The remainder of the ninety minutes produced few opportunities so the tie went into extra time. The decisive goal came in the 103rd minute. A Diamonds corner was headed goalwards and Osei produced a perfectly executed overhead kick, much to the delight of the scorer and his team mates.
To their credit the Steelboys' heads did not go down and, although goalkeeper Carl Curtis was forced to fingertip a shot over the bar, they continued to attack right up to the final whistle.

CORBY TOWN:- Carl Curtis; Kieran Berry (substitute Mathew Charter), Ben McClafferty; Dean McBride (captain), Jordan Lee-Fowler, Layton Watts; Jordan O'Brien, Zac Allen, Craig Sutton (substitute Reece Day), Kelsey Walsh, Harry Belmonte (substitute Hussain Ahmed). Unused substitutes: Ethan Kingston, Liam Marshall.

AFC RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS:- Tom Cocking; Louie Barratt, Austin Bishop (captain); Ara Rhema, Luca Purse, Bryn Davies; Jake Lancaster, Alix Clarke, Hayford Osei, Lee Goldsborough, David Hunt. Substitutes: Kyle Ansell, Sam Rushby (who was wearing a number 86 shirt!), Mitchell Sharp, Harry Lamb, Ryan Reed.

REFEREE:- Mr Corey Suggs (Luton).

Updated 14:01 - 8 Nov 2017 by James McCafferty

Where next?


Loading comments

Sat 24 Mar
First Team Lincoln United
League 15:00
Mon 26 Mar
First Team Kidsgrove Athletic
League 19:45
Thu 29 Mar
First Team Cleethorpes Town
League 19:45

Team sponsors


Club sponsors