Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Corby Town FC



4 months ago By David Tilley


“Healey pounced to head in the rebound from six yards.”

With Paul Malone and Jason Lee both absent from this fixture manager Steve Kinniburgh put his faith in youth and the club's teenagers did not let him down. Under-18s captain Dean McBride was given his first start alongside skipper Jamie Anton in the centre of defence and gave a performance that a seasoned professional would have been proud of.
Steve Leslie was joined in midfield by teenaged loanees Ben Bradshaw and Cameron Healey and the trio had snuffed out any threat Leek might have produced long before the end. It was Healey, highly rated by his parent club Mansfield Town, who opened the scoring in the 17th minute. Visiting goalkeeper Ben Chapman could only parry a shot by Jordan Crawford and Healey pounced to head in the rebound from six yards
The lead was to last just eight minutes, however, as in the 25th minute a foul on Robert Stevenson was converted by Tim Grice to move a step closer to becoming Leek's all-time record goalscorer.
The Steelmen were quickly back on the front foot and Leslie combined well with Visan-Vasile Cretu on the right to make space for a shot which was comfortably held by Chapman. The Leek 'keeper was then forced into more serious action to tip a Connor Kennedy header from a Leslie corner over the bar.
The visiting forwards did break free of the Corby ranks twice before half time but on the first occasion Sam Wilson made a good save from Grice and in injury time the centre forward's chipped effort landed just wide of the goal.
It was after the interval, however, that Corby really took control of the match. A free kick on the edge of the box was blasted wastefully high by Bradshaw and the Steelmen had a decent penalty appeal turned down by Boston referee Mr Christopher Reeson when Joe Kearns appeared to steer the ball away from Sam Mulready as the pair challenged for a Leslie centre.
Mulready then headed over from a Sam Warburton centre and a neat move involving Bradshaw, Warburton, Leslie and Crawford ended with the latter's goalbound shot being blocked.
Corby were not to be denied a second goal, however, and on the hour another good exchange between Warburton and Leslie saw Leslie play the ball into the penalty area, where Mulready reacted quicker than Leek captain Darren Chadwick to turn the ball in.
From then on it was virtually all Corby. A high Warburton centre was held virtually on the line by the back pedalling Chapman who then excelled to save long range efforts by substitute Dino Tuskar and Leslie.
Leek did create one opportunity but Grice got his body shape all wrong at the far post and hit his effort woefully off target.
So Corby got back on the winning track after the previous weekend's home defeat by Lincoln United and now head to bottom of the table Romulus, and the plastic pitch at Sutton Coldfield, in confident mood.

CORBY TOWN:- Sam Wilson; Connor Kennedy, Sam Warburton; Dean McBride, Jamie Anton, Cameron Healey; Visan-Vasile Cretu (substitute Dino Tuskar), Ben Bradshaw, Steven Leslie, Sam Mulready (substitute Philip Trainer), Jordan Crawford (substitute Jordan O'Brien). Unused substitutes:- Dan Smith (GK), CJ Tanga-Gibson.

LEEK TOWN:- Ben Chapman; Jordan Lemon, Joe Kearns; Marc Grocott, Niall Green, Darren Chadwick (captain); Niall McGuire, Liam Davis (substitute Dan Shelley), Tim Grice (substitute Jordan Johnson), Dan Trickett-Smith (substitute Sam Grimshaw), Robert Stevenson. Unused substitutes: Tom Crawford, Scott Lycett.

REFEREE:- Mr Christopher Reeson (Boston).


Updated 20:19 - 11 Dec 2017 by David Tilley


Loading comments

Sat 28 Apr
First Team Peterborough Sports
League 15:00

Team sponsors


Club sponsors